Friday, September 5, 2008

Recollecting Celebrations from the Last Month


SMS from Jean Toh on 2 Sep 08 when I sms/called her about her AsiaWorks Advanced course starting 3 Sep.

"Thanks a lot for your support james. I really appreciate u."

I celebrate this sms because I am making a difference to this person I only just knew; and that I have caused another human being to appreciate another person and dare enough to express it as an acknowledgement. I have helped someone connect to and with her HEART!

***************************************************************************
I have been coaching a Senior Executive from an Indian conglomerate with US$30 billion annual revenues who is on a company program to train in-house coaches. At the end of the 6-month journey, this is part of a "Tribute" he wrote to me on 25 Aug 08.

"You gave us enough freedom & flexibility to experiment during the coaching program. You continued to appreciate our efforts throughout the process irrespective of the quantum of progress made by us.

We have learnt at the end of the program that to become a good Coach, one has to become a good human being. You demonstrated this attribute throughout our association with you."

This is a celebration because this man has got it that the real power that inspires change is WHO a person is, his BEing. Nice for me to know also that who I am can be noticed even though our interaction over the past 6 months has purely been over the telephone.

******************************************************************************
21 Aug 08- Email from Kanishka, TWP Indian Head, after reading email feedback from one of my Indian coachees:
"Wow James! What are you doing to these guys? I'm beginning to think you're after Peggy's job! (Peggy O'Neal is Director of Coaching in TWP, Singapore). Seriously... Just awesome commitment to your guys. I'm very impressed. Will pick your brains on coaching when I catch up with you."

I celebrate this because someone in the coaching industry thinks I can add value to him! And he's contributing to me just by expressing his excitement! Wow!

***************************************************************************
19 Aug 08 - email from Lionel Goh, my pastor from Bartley Christian Church, after a discussion I hosted on Rick Warren's 40 Days of S.H.A.P.E. :
"James, you may not know it, but you occupy a very strategic place in the lives of many. Eunice & I are simply amazed by the level of influence you have with your business partners. And you can influence them for eternity, not just success in this life."

This is cause for celebration because my pastor who sees me in shorts and tee shirt at church every Sunday is blown away when he heard how many people said they just "Follow me lah" when they heard about the study just four days before.

***************************************************************************
14 Aug 08 - This is an email from someone who I have been coaching for 4 years, written after she introduced herself to her new university class by singing "I am a Champion" :
"i very much cherish your two smses today. particularly this:
that's why what u did was impt. u just did it. was nt necessary, totally unreasonable, mad even. but u chose becos u r creator of possibilities, bcos u trust coach. v proud of u.

best part is, you always make me very proud of me too. i look back and ask - how did i ever do that.

u know by the time i stepped up to the front of the lecture hall and took the mike, i had already visualised me going up there, say - hi i am @@@@@@ and then singing I am the Champion.

THANK YOU for making my life memorable and not same old same old."


I celebrate this because this coachee unknowingly sat and passed a "test" set at the end of a coaching period - she chose the uncomfortable and unreasonable, she trusted her coach, and she demonstrated inspiring change brought about through coaching.

No comments: