Thursday, July 14, 2011

Words to Describe Me as a CAR Coach

HWEE SUAN

10/7/2011 10:09: James Chia: If you could describe my coaching (its style or its impact on you or its result) in just 1 word, what would that word be?
10/7/2011 10:19: Hwee Suan: Encouraging
10/7/2011 10:20: James Chia: Thank you. 3 different words?
10/7/2011 10:44: Hwee Suan: Encouraging ... Giving hope ... Empowering
10/7/2011 11:05: Hwee Suan: U cd add inspiring
10/7/2011 11:15: James Chia: 3 words?
10/7/2011 11:15: Hwee Suan: Ya
10/7/2011 12:01: James Chia: Can I finish this off - the 3 most descriptive words on your experience of my coaching: Encouraging ... Giving hope ... Empowering...Inspiring (got 4 here)
10/7/2011 12:03: Hwee Suan: Ya
10/7/2011 12:03: Hwee Suan: More is better?
10/7/2011 12:04: James Chia: Top 3 pl
10/7/2011 12:17: Hwee Suan: Encouraging (includes giving hope) Empowering (I can do it!) n Inspiring (he has done it! His life works n he's successful)
10/7/2011 12:17: Hwee Suan: Makes sense?


YENNI WU

JC: Yenni, If you could describe my coaching (its style or its impact on you or its result) in just 1 word, what would that word be?

YW: Love

JC: Loving?

YW: Ya better.

Loving!



GP YAP

From: G P Yap Sent: Thursday, 14 July 2011 16:32
Subject: RE: FW: CAR COACHING

Hmm

brazen, abrasive - no-nonsense now seems so gentle

I can see the insolence - but lovable

I think the word I was looking for is closer to "Incisive" - sharp, piercing to the core, quickly getting to the root cause

GP



From: Hwee Suan Ang Sent: Wednesday, 13 July 2011 23:14
Subject: Re: FW: CAR COACHING

the word that replaces 'scary'?

Audacious.

i thought so. and then to be sure, i looked up dictionary.com and the meaning as defined there confirmed it for me:

1. extremely bold or daring; recklessly brave; fearless: an audacious explorer.
2. extremely original; without restriction to prior ideas; highly inventive: an audacious vision of the city's bright future.
3. recklessly bold in defiance of convention, propriety, law, or the like; insolent; brazen.

Hs

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 5:23 PM, James Chia wrote:
Pl read also the PS at the very bottom of GP's reply.

Can you find the word/words that GP is looking for?

-----Original Message-----
From: GP Yap Sent: Tuesday, 12 July 2011 04:03 p.m.
Subject: Re: CAR COACHING

HI James,

I'm sorry but I was probably not thinking too deeply when replying to your
sms using the words, "no-nonsense" and "dedicated".

I said before that you have the uncanny ability to sort out the wheat from
the chaff. You are able to distill what is important from what is not based
on a very strong set of values which helps me to be clear as to what the
important issues are. You also present your ideas with great clarity and
mostly in a very direct and confident manner. I admire all that in you and
frequently wish that I had those qualities. So how do I use just one word to
summarize that tough mindedness. Like the title of LKY's book, "Hard Truths"
(I like the title) which tells it like it is, your's is a "no-nonsence"
style that will enable me to succeed. As LKY cares deeply about Singapore
and it's people, you truly care about those around you. (Both of you are
often misunderstood by others) The word "no-nonsense" was not meant to strip
away any of the love and care that you have for your coachees. I was looking
for a very powerful, masculine word. I have yet to find the right one word.
Maybe you are !
so many one words, like caring, supportive, inspiring because you do
respond accordingly.

Hence the second word, "dedicated". You are dedicated to the success of the
people around you. You are dedicated to my goals and life. You are also
dedicated to your team, your family, your goals. In fact, you are dedicated
to almost everyone you know and in everything that you do. So when you asked
for a more positive word, that immediately came to mind.

I do hope that it explains why I used those words and it was used with the
greatest of respect for you.

With love and respect

GP

PS

Actually the first word that came to my mind was "scary" as I always thought
of you as someone who is not afraid of setting "harry, audacious goals".
Anyone of us would try to enroll 2 or 5 persons to Pei Yen's class, but you
chose to enroll 50 people. That's scary (in the good sense of the word) I
feel humbled and at the same time challenged by your action and imagination.

No comments: